Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook - links and thoughts on citing it...


Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook is a browsable and searchable resource authored by the Tennessee Historical Commission (edited by James B. Jones, Jr.). It is hosted in browsable format (downloadable PDFs, chapter by chapter) from the Cumberland County Archives and Family History Center of Art Circle Public Library's website, ArtCircleLibrary.info ; and in searchable format at the Tennessee State Library and Archives (TSLA) website. Here are the links:

Links to two publishers: 

Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook (browsable), Art Circle Public Library
http://www.artcirclelibrary.info/Reference/civilwar/tennessee_civil_war_sourcebook.htm

Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook (database), Tennessee State Library and Archives
http://www.tnsos.net/TSLA/cwsourcebook/index.php

________________________________________________

BIBLIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION:

Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook

Title: Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook
Author: Tennessee Historical Commission
Editor: James B. Jones, Jr.

Publisher (1) (searchable database): Tennessee State Library and Archives

Publisher (2) (browsable by month/historical era): Art Circle Public Library (website) of Art Circle Public Library, in Tennessee.

Location of Tennessee Historical Commission: Nashville, Tennessee.

Location of Art Circle Public Library: Cumberland County, Tennessee.

Note: each chapter of the Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook starts over at page 1.

MY OWN VERSION OF AN ADEQUATE BIBLIOGRAPHIC ENTRY:

Tennessee Historical Commission (edited by James B. Jones, Jr.). “April 5, 1864: Loyal East Tennessee Unionists to be given surplus U. S. Army draft animals for farm work, excerpt from Special Orders No. 96” (pgs. 14-15 of 128 in April 1864) in Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook. Cumberland County Archives and Family Heritage Center, Art Circle Public Library. http://www‌.artcirclelibrary.info/‌Reference/civilwar/1864-04.pdf .

__________________________________________

Above, I've given a biblio entry for one section in one chapter of the source: "(April 5, 1864: Loyal East Tennessee Unionists to be given surplus U.S. Army draft animals for farm work, excerpt from Special Orders No. 96)" from the browsable PDF version of this source (downloaded from Art Circle Public Library website). I could probably shorten that section title This is my attempt at a bibliography entry in Chicago Style. (APA and MLA would be different):

I've changed it half a dozen times and still don't know if I'm right. I sometimes include extra info, hoping that if someone really needs to do a look-up from my citation and the URL doesn't work, they might still be able to find my source. Above, I've put both the title of the source (Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook) and the website (Art Circle Public Library) in italic font; I'm not sure if I should. For examples, I looked at "books published online," "chapter in a book," "published thesis," and "electronic database." This has elements of all those things.

Originally, I came across one chapter of this source in a Google search. At that time, it was served up by Tennessee Civil War Sourcebook website. The site probably went over its server limits, because it no longer publishes this source. Next I found the source at Tennessee State Library and Archives (TSLA) in its browsable form. Later, it disappeared, but I found bits of it in searches. The new bits had the address of ArtCircleLibrary, but they really came up out of context, as single chapters, delivered as PDF downloads. It was kind of hard to back-track, but I browsed the library website and finally found the book. It was filed under Cumberland County Archives and Family Heritage Center. There, I found the name of the editor. The "book" doesn't have a title page, per se (that I could find), so I don't have a publication date. I didn't use a location, since it's not formally listed on a title page, but the Tennessee Historical Commission is Nashville based, if needed.

The page numbers start over at page 1 for each chapter; and, since the URL links to the whole chapter, not the specific page, I thought it wise to include page numbers and indicate that they are "of" so many pages in the chapter "(pgs. 14-15 of 128 in April 1864)." In my corresponding citation, I might also indicate the author's source "(citing O.R.)," but that may be superfluous. Actually, for this reference, I'd do my best to find the original text in O.R. and cite that, instead. But this same source also has some nice tidbits that aren't easy to find elsewhere, such as extracts from Civil War era newspapers and diaries. As best I can thresh out the many examples I've found, I should include the editor when there is both an author and editor. The newest version of Chicago Style says I should spell out "edited by" (verb form of editor) but may use "ed." if putting it after an editor's name (noun form of "editor"). They didn't say why or which one to choose, but my hunch was, in putting it after the author, I should say "edited by." Many of the examples I've found out there use abbreviations and standards that are now outdated, according to the newest style manual--so it's hard to pick and choose examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment